Sunday, May 31, 2009

Game set match!

Today was my second show with Borealis, and I think it went really well! Reasons:
  • Travis came, and said that our new creepy piece made two children sitting nearby him cry. At least we had the children's attention :)
  • Our costumes were awesome. Credit goes to Danielle for this one: she hand stenciled (and then 2nd-coated) five blue tank tops with different commands like PAY ATTENTION, SIT, and OBEY. (The piece was called "We Do What We're Told," to the Peter Gabriel song of the same name).
  • Danny and Rocker, possibly Austin's most well-known teacher/choreographers (relocated here after years in New York) were at the show, loved Danielle's choreography, and would like to collaborate with us in the future (on a Nutty Nutcracker! How fun would that be?!). Danny gave us a big complement, too, when he said that it was obvious "we put in the work." We do put in a lot of work! I'm glad he could tell!
  • We made some baked goods to put on a table out front, with a sign that said "Baked goods courtesy of Borealis dance- donations Welcome," and we made $58 dollars! And that was just on two batches of brownies (made by Danielle and Caitlyn) and two batches of butterballs (or Italian Wedding Cookies, made by me- they were reallllly yummy) at a small studio's show. So now our fundraising brains are thinking big: can we do the same for all 5 of the shows at Danielle's dance studio next weekend? It will mean baking every night this week, but it would be worth it if it meant we could rent a space for our show in October. And, in my mind, it beats a carwash, since at least cookies at a recital has something to do with dance. And I love cookies! Yesterday I invested in a really nice bronze cookie cutter from Capezio. It is a leaping dancer, and I love it. I just have to find a cookish morning or evening to bake sugar cookies, since you have to spend a long time with the oven on. It's supposed to be in the upper 90's all week (and it's not even officially summer yet!)
After the show we all went to Matt's El Rancho for dinner. I don't normally go out for dinner after shows (I really prefer to hang out with the few people I know well than network with a lot of dance professionals I've never met). but Travis was amazing and came with me and made it really fun. I had "ultra-lite" fajitas, which means a stir fry of beef and vegetables on a bed of seasoned rice. It may be the closest thing I've had to Korean food since I moved here :) Yummy! Makes me miss bulgogi though.

Okay, it is really time to get this crazy raccoon-eye makeup off. Some people can look really natural and normal with a lot of eye makeup on. I am not one of those people. Also, I should probably wash my feet, since they are black from the stage.

3 comments:

mom said...

I am so glad to hear that the show went well. How exciting to get compliments from people who really know about good dance and choreography. And the Nutcracker is just crying out to be spoofed. I hope that really happens.
You must be acclimating to Texas if you can even think about turning the oven on when it's hot. Or maybe your apartment has good air conditioning. I stop using the oven when it's 80.

Ms. Sibbett said...

Oh, Jeannie! I wish we could've seen your scary dancing. Mom and Dad and I just wish and wish to see your shows. Film 'em. Post 'em. Please!

And I am not even surprised famous choreographers like your dance company. Not. Even.

Jeannie said...

Lisa: Danielle films every dance we do. The hard part is getting the video from her, since she never remembers to bring the camera/computer/cord/disc, etc. I love her, but it's true! But I will see what I can do. I'd really like to see and post our new piece too.
Mom, regarding the nutcracker: you are so right! I thought doing a nutcracker, even a silly one, sounded like a lot of work, but Danielle said it would be just the second half. Also, the air conditioning in my apartment is really good! By necessity, we keep it at about 73 when we are home. When I bake, it takes the kitchen up to about 80. But I only attempt this in the morning or at night!