Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Baking in Texas

It took 6 months, but I have finally figured out how to make non-flat chocolate chip cookies in Texas. This is probably my 11th or 12th chocolate chip cookie attempt here in Austin, and the secret recipe seems to be:
Nestle Tollhouse recipe, with 1/4 cup more flour, 1/2 tsp less salt, and baked at 350 instead of 375. I'm not exactly sure why these modifications work (or why they're necessary- the heat? humidity? altitude?), but the cookies I just pulled out of the oven aren't crispy on the edges, or flat in the middle, or dark on the bottom. Yay!
Most of my other recipes seem to work out okay here, though I haven't tried anything but cookies and brownies since it's gotten warmer (it's pretty consistently in the 90s now). I have noticed that I have to add a lot more powdered sugar and a lot less butter to my sugar cookie frosting here, or it breaks down and is totally runny and unusable in 20 minutes.
Now I just wish I had some Indianola berries to make cobblers and pies!

1 comment:

hlw said...

Travis is not allowed to bring those cookies to the office anymore. They are too good. And we eat too many.