Sunday, May 10, 2009

Whitworth, one year later

The last few weeks my facebook home page has been full of photo albums of Whitworth theatre parties, Broadway Unbound (the spring theatre and dance concert), the spring Jubilation show, and the senior projects of some wonderful (and very talented) friends. These events were my life for four years. And now I'm missing them, and especially our friends and professors, something fierce. I dance with Borealis, and it's challenging and wonderful (and I almost have a six-pack for the first time in my life), but it's not dance class with Suzanne and shows on the main stage in Cowles with ten quick changes backstage.
Travis and I were talking tonight, and we decided that the only downside to having an amazing college experience is that it's really hard to let it go. Travis' cross country team went to nationals last fall, and they just opened the dance studio of my dreams in Whitworth's new building. And even without nationals and a real studio, our time at Whitworth (or should I say times, since we didn't spend any of it together) was a dream come true.

Oh Cowles Auditorium, you never looked so good!
I can see now why so many parents try to get their kids to go to the college they went to. Well I don't have any kids right now, but I do have a new brother who's almost 17. And after mother's day lunch/dinner with Travis' family, I have a dream: to convince Stephen to go to Whitworth and be a theatre major. I mean, only if he wants to. But he's so funny, and he's always making up songs, and everyone would love him there, and he would graduate and get jobs right away!
Stephen, if you're reading this: seriously.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

oh my gosh jeannie, i am feeling this same sad nostalgia after seeing those facebook albums as well. it's as if i have had to grieve for that experience! i also miss dancing in Cowles, am jealous of the new dance space, miss crazy long tech rehearsals and being doused in sweat from doing our modhop dance one hundred times. those times were so good! i just wish i had realized how good they were when i was complaining about them.

MISS YOU! and i miss the fun we had!

Maery Elizabeth said...

=] That picture makes me really happy because I know every person in it and because I was ASM for Broadway Unbound. I thought of you the whole time, especially when your soulmate was dancing. Whitworth is amazing and I've still got three wonderful years left there - don't worry about convincing people to go. The school does a pretty good job on its own.