Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Charity . . . denied!

This afternoon my creative drama class performed The Three Billy Goats Gruff for their parents, and now I have just one more week until I'm down to 2-job status! I was in a wonderful mood on the way home, and when my car stopped right next to a man holding a sign at an intersection, I took a second look. He was probably about 60, had only one leg, and was sitting on a guardrail next to the freeway holding a sign that said "anything will help." I don't feel right (except in very rare cases) about giving strangers cash, but I did have my lunch bag next to me, and in it was a nearly untouched box of Wheat Thins. He was only a few feet away from my open window (95 degrees today. No AC.) so I turned to him and asked if he was hungry. He looked very grateful and said "yes." Or he did look grateful, that is, until I held up the box of wheat thins. His face turned immediately to disgust, and he said "Oh, no thank you," before turning away. Apparently, "anything will help," except for wheat thins!
I spent the next minute or so sitting in my car next to the guardrail in awkward silence, but as soon as the light turned green I burst into laughter, and it continued most of the way home.
Poor wheat thins. Don't worry. I will eat you.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

oh how sad! well, nice try, anyways. next time you will think twice about giving away your wheat thins! ;-)