Thursday, May 14, 2009

Lost?

We just watched the season finale of LOST. I'm not excited about waiting 9 months to see the next episode. I'm also not excited that nothing was explained. (And five points will be subtracted from LOST's cool point reserve for gratuitous use of the word "destiny." For shame, LOST).

And I'm also also not excited about performing a tap dance in front of hundreds of my students' family members next month. Fun fact: I have never taken a tap class in my life. Never ever ever. One of the first things I told Carissa in my interview at ADC was that I don't tap. Sure enough, a month later I was teaching 3 combo classes, which include . . . tap! At least the oldest students in these classes are 6, so I can keep it to shuffles and flaps.

But now we're chin deep in teacher dance rehearsals, and I am discovering that tap is not one of those forms of dance that you can fake your way through. See, you've got these really loud things on your feet, and they make noise every time you mess up. Also, tap is hard. I can't quite get my ankles to move quick enough, and even when I can get the steps right I'm always making the dreaded "terrified dancer" face. The teacher dance is really fun, and Adele is a great teacher, but I have a lot of work to do. My goal this week is to master the buck single time step, as demonstrated here:

2 comments:

mom said...

Tap dancers are so much fun to watch, Jeannie. Even this little tap video puts a smile on my face. You will bring joy to your kitchen and mine once you get this down. When you come in June don't forget to bring your tap shoes! love, mom

hlw said...

OK...the Lost episode!? I watched it last night. To me, it's like a bad car accident. I get bored (the episodes seem to move really slow), but I can't help but watch! I was going to give it up next season...but I mean, c'mon...how can I not see what happens now?!?!