Saturday, May 9, 2009

It's a bird, it's a sheep!

Tonight Travis, Joe, and I went to a Round Rock Express (minor league baseball) game. It was great to just sit and relax, especially after a busy week of teaching (we had final performances at the J), work (it's recital season, so it's been real busy at the store), and rehearsals (Borealis is performing a new piece at the end of the month). And today was picture day at the dance studio, so I spent 8 hours there posing hundreds of students and moving them through their group and solo shots as quickly as possible.
Anyway, baseball. Yay! Baseball games have always been the thing I do with my dad, so I missed him a bit, but it was really fun. The Dell Diamond, where the Express play, is way nicer than Cheney Stadium, the local minor league stadium back home. It's almost as nice as Safeco, actually, just much much smaller. There is a pool. We actually considered getting married there, way back in the day. The Dell Diamond. In front of me: grass seating. Behind me was a "fun zone" complete with basketball court, climbing wall, and a bounce house.
We were sitting right by the field. In fact, the place was so compact that a lot of foul balls went out of the park, into the parking lot. The first time this happened, they played a glass breaking sound effect. After that, the sound effects got goofier. A cat, a cow, an elephant, and my favorite, a sheep. Apparently the foul balls were hitting all those things in the parking lot? The guy in front of us suggested that maybe someone was up in the sound booth pulling the cord on one of those farm animal toys with the wheel in the middle that spins around. You know what I'm talking about- the one where the arrow stops and says "The lion says . . . [roar]," etc.
Travis brought his mitt just in case any foul balls came toward us. I am very glad he didn't have to use it. We were definitely in the line of fire on the 1st base line, and a woman on the 3rd base line had to be taken out by field medics after a ball hit her in the face. Or so Joe says (Travis and I were at the Fun Zone at the time- Travis threw a 70 mph ball in the speed pitch cage). I'm not quite sure whether he can be believed . . .
Are you lying, Joe? Because I know where you live.
Travis and Joe, being good sports and turning away from the 9th inning to let me take a picture.

And now, a video:

1 comment:

mom said...

Jeannie, I love your blog so much. The stories and pictures are wonderful and I feel like I know what's going on in your life. That's a great picture of you and Travis at the game. I would love to have a copy of that. mom