Thursday, May 21, 2009

New addition

Travis and I are adopting a car! Or at least it feels like an adoption, what with all the applications and payments and the long trip to pick it up. Plus, it's already six years old. Travis is on his way home from New Mexico (loooong story, but that's where the best deal was. Travis is all about the deals, and he calculated it all out, including mileage, airfare, etc.), and he and our 2003 Jetta TDI will arrive tomorrow afternoon.
I have to admit I'm nervous about making such a big purchase, but I'm the kind of person who gets nervous about spending money on toothpaste and waits for two months to buy tap shoes even though they are teaching multiple tap classes without tap shoes (true story). And it's true that in order to maintain Travis' car any longer we would have to spend more each month than the monthly payments on a new (used, but new to us) car.
So this morning Travis embarked on his journey! I will include an itinerary below, solely because I know my Dad will appreciate the amount of gyrations required to accquire this vehicle.

Sidenote: "gyration" means something very different in the Sibbett family than it does in the world at large. I tried to write a simple definition, but no luck, so I will give an example:

1. Dad takes truck to mom's work, swaps it for mom's car
2. Dad picks up a friend, we'll call him George
3. Dad leaves mom's car in some secluded port town with George, who will borrow the car for two days because he needs a car with 5 seats to take his family skiing
4. Dad takes George's surfboard, gets on a boat, and does a tugboat run
5. Dad uses George's surfboard to loan to a crewmember so they can paddle around together while on tugboat run (I know this isn't realistic, Dad, since you have many surfboards, but this is an example)
6. Two days later, George and his wife drive to my parents' house in two cars, drop mom's car off in Indianola, and drive back home together in his truck.
7. The next day, mom and Lisa drive in two cars to some secluded port town to pick up dad so they can leave him his truck.
8. Mom and Lisa drive home in mom's car
9. Dad uses truck to drop off George's surfboard, then goes to pick up a load of boomsticks.
10. Everyone is happy; Jeannie is confused.

Each of those steps is a gyration. Together they are gyrations. Whew.

So, anyway, the car-picking-up process has way fewer steps than that, because I am generally resistant to gyrations, and also don't own a surfboard or have a friend named George. Here goes:
1. Travis and I drove the 1.5 hrs this morning (up at 5am!) to San Antonio so I could drop Travis off at the airport there-- not the nearest airport, but, again, it's all about the best deal with Travis :)
2. I drove home another 1.5, took a nap, then went to work.
3. Travis flew to Denver, then Albuquerque.
4. Travis took a bus to Santa Fe
5. Travis is now currently driving the 12ish hours from Santa Fe back to Austin.

Now that I look at the limited number of steps in comparison with my previous example (which is not in any way exaggerated- ask my mom!), the whole process seems way too simple. We really should have tried to leave a boat or a co-worker somewhere.

2 comments:

mom said...

I can't wait for Bill and Lisa to read your blog today. It is so perfect. (Just a side note from the person who always drives the extra car: There are not enough steps in your gyrations because all of the loose ends have not been tied up! Now you have three cars, right? It would take more steps to dispose of one of the extra cars, on the way to the airport, for example.)

Ms. Sibbett said...

I have nothing to add. It is all too, too true. Dad is totally delighted.