Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Help wanted

I teach 10 weekly dance classes at Austin Dance Company. Most of the time I spend thinking about my classes, however, is focused on the 30-minute private lesson I teach twice a month with an 8-year-old girl. She is bright, expressive, and loves to dance. She also has Asberger's syndrome, about which I knew very little before January. In fact, I still know very little about Asberger's (I told Travis today, and it's really true: before this student my only knowledge of the condition came from a contestant on America's Next Top Model). Lately I've felt our lessons won't make any difference in my student's ability to dance long-term if I can't help her succeed in a class full of her peers. She can turn like a pro and get down pretty complex footwork, but when you fill the room with 14 other 8-year-olds and ask her to wait in line and go when it's her turn, she seems overwhelmed and is easily distracted. I'd also love to help her make friends in the large class (she takes my Jazz II class as well, and I know a lot of friend-making tips from my days touring with Taproot's road company). I've done some casual internet-search type reading on the subject, but I would welcome any ideas of actual books or specific sites anyone (mom?) thinks might be helpful.
Mostly, I'm realizing how little I know about the kinds of things one comes in contact with in the real world. I can teach anyone to pirouette or memorize lines, but I don't know how to deal with frustrated parents (not my parents, the parents of my students) or what snacks (if any) I can bring my students at the Jewish Community Center for our end-of-semester celebration (I've decided to stay away from snacks, just in case). Where were those scenarios in Core 350?

1 comment:

mom said...

I'm going to e-mail you about this one. love, mom