Friday, April 17, 2009

On (and off) stage!

Hello friends and family! Tonight was my first dance performance in Texas, and I realized it's been almost a year since I danced on stage! Unfortunately, it's been almost a year (or at least it feels that way) since we saw some of you face to face. Now that we're a little more settled here in Austin, I'm trying to get better at staying contact with all our far away family and friends.
To begin with, my show: I've been dancing with a modern dance company (called Borealis) here for a few months, and tonight was my first performance with the group. We just did a little 7-minute piece as guest artists before Austin City Ballet's Midsummer Night's Dream, but if you're a dancer you know that 7 minutes is in fact pretty grueling, even with exits and entrances (reminder: must improve cardiovascular endurance). Borealis is pretty new, and it's exciting to be part of the beginning of something. We have another show tomorrow night, and I will hopefully be more on the spot with the camera and snap some actual pictures of the group!
In the meantime, here are some pictures of Travis and I on a rare afternoon together at the hike and bike trail downtown. With his church schedule (plus ultimate frisbee games), and my 3 jobs (plus company rehearsals), we don't usually see much of each other before 9 pm. I know it's not our season for lots of down time together, and we are both happy with work, but I do look forward to being able to cook together, go on hikes, and use our season passes to Six Flags. Hopefully it will happen someday (or at least year) soon!I was so grateful to be near the water!
Aim/flash seem to always be issues when we try to take pictures together. But . . .
Here we are on Easter, both visible and in the frame!
And yes, the bunny ears were necessary. My friend Danielle (director of Borealis, co-worker at Capezio) and I co-hosted an Easter Egg Hunt in the dark. Danielle and I hid the eggs, but it turned out to be way too hard. If I ever do an Easter Egg Hunt in the dark again (even for adults), I'll be sure to "hide" the eggs way out in the open. But I'm sure children in the park the next morning were excited to see all the eggs we couldn't find. Thanks to our friends who came for being such good sports! (And to Grizz, Trey's puppy, who was hands downt he best egg hunter. If only my nose led me to hidden chocolate!)
Danielle and I pre-hunt. Also featured is the carrot bat, for which we sold our souls and entered Wal-Mart.

1 comment:

Kara Hafner said...

Jeannie it is so good to be able to read your blogs and hear how you are doing in your new life in Texas. I hope life is continuing to treat you well. Know that you are very missed a little to the west in Arizona.