Monday, April 20, 2009

Conspiracy theories

One of my favorite things about "political thriller" type movies is that the protagonist's conspiracy theories always turn out to be true. It's predictable, but it's exciting to watch it unfold. Tonight Travis and I went to see State of Play and, (hopefully) without giving away too much, I must say I am a bit perplexed. I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it, but neither Travis nor I could decide whether the surprise ending was great, or too unexpected (and maybe unnecessary?) to be satisfying . . . That said, I still recommend it, if only for the fact that Rachel McAdams and Russell Crowe sport matching layered bobs:
Also, though I don't believe I'm as skilled at analyzing acting as most who carry degrees in theatre, I thought Ben Afflek gave a really strong, endearing performance (which is maybe what made the ending feel wrong?).


Anyway, It was great to just hang out and see a movie tonight. Borealis is on hiatus this week, and neither of us has any late staff meetings, so we are trying to make the most of a week full of free evenings (minus Wednesday, when I teach dance and Travis has d-groups at church). Tonight was Papa Johns by the pond below the Arboretum. I'm not sure if there's an actual name for it, but it's a really beautiful man-made pond with fountains in the middle right off the highway. And we (or at least I) felt a little hard core eating there, since we had to dodge some pretty protective geese to get to our picnic table. They were huge, and one was giving me "If you come any nearer, I'll peck your eyes out" vibes. Luckily, Travis knew of a little back pathway, and we ate our pizza safe and sound. All in all, it made for a great evening.

Okay, time to watch the Spurs game with Travis (which really means that I will probably try to watch it for a few minutes, lose interest, and go do a crossword puzzle instead). Go Spurs!

No comments: