Monday, April 27, 2009

Let's go to the Movies . . .

Let's go see the stars!
Um, does anyone else really love the movie Annie? My sister Lisa was only 2 when it came out, but she had the hair, and I remember people telling her all the time that she looked just like the girl from Annie. Incidentally (and possibly consequently), I have always always wanted to play Annie on stage, and was heartbroken recently to realize that I probably no longer look young enough for the role. But maybe one of the orphans? The "Oh my goodness" girl, perhaps?
All that said, this note is really about movies. Travis and I love going to movies, and surprisingly like a lot of the same ones. Here are some movies (already out and coming soon) that I am really looking forward to seeing (links to trailers in blue):
  • X-Men Origins: Wolverine This movie will probably be over-dramatic and angsty in all the right ways, and Travis wants to see it too!
  • Hannah Montana: The Movie Also probably over-dramatic and bad in all the right ways, except Travis will have nothing to do with it (which is why I haven't seen it already). All my dance students have loved it, though! Note of interest: Travis' almost-17-year-old brother auditioned for the role of Travis, the love interest, in this movie! Also: Miley Cyrus can really sing!
  • Star Trek Star Trek Star Trek Star Trek. You may not know that, over the course of the last year, Travis and I have watched 8 Star Trek movies in preparation for this new one. My favorite was The Voyage Home, in which they went back in time to kidnap two humpback whales, who inexplicably could communicate with an alien probe and save earth in the future. Also inexplicably, this movie was a full-on comedy. I have learned many nerdy things, and my crossword puzzle skills have drastically (okay, slightly) improved (Uhura is a very common puzzle word, and I know who that is now!) Also, J.J. Abrams directed this, and he was the man behind Alias and Lost!!!
  • Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian History is fun!
  • 17 Again Crystal and Stephen saw this movie and said it was really funny. Also, I hear there is a romance conducted in elvish, and maybe a dance number?

2 comments:

Ms. Sibbett said...

Probably the Hannah Montana movie will make a HUGE SPLASH and will consequently still be playing when you guys get here at the end of June, and if we haven't seen it yet (or if we need to see it again) you and I will go together.

Being a curly-red-headed kid in the age of Annie was no picnic, by the way. I have never liked to be told the same thing over and over again, and I think I developed a kind of antagonistic edge toward benevolent old ladies saying "has anyone ever told you you look just like Annie?" Hopefully I didn't use any rough language.

Jeannie said...

Oh for sure we will go see Hannah Montana, if it is still playing. Let's hope! Three months is a really long time for a movie to be in theaters. That's like Jurassic Park long.
Also, I feel your pain vis-a-vis being told the same thing over and over. The 34,000 time someone told me I look 14 was 33,996 times too many.