Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Shiny and new (or at least new)

I have a new reusable grocery bag! I have long felt unsure about reusable grocery bags. On the one hand, I'm all about saving the environment. On the other hand, the bags tend to be too small (I think I am strong enough to carry more than 6 cubic inches in groceries at a time), and also, I feel like I need one for every store. I mean, can you walk into Randalls with an HEB bag? (Or in Washington terms, can you walk into Safeway with an Albertsons bag?) I feel like they would beg my groceries in my Target bag, but might vent about my thoughtlessness afterward, and I really don't want to be the person whom employees vent about. Also, my Target bag is currently at the dance studio holding 8 giant foam lollipops.
Anyway, today I found my heart's true bag. It was designed by Eva Longoria Parker, who lives in Texas (probably like 6 days a year) because her husband Tony Parker (Please click on that link. You won't be sorry. Yes, he is a rapper in France) plays for the San Antonio Spurs. We (Travis) are big Spurs fans, and during a playoff game last week this commercial came on:

And I thought, "hey, that bag only has a very small HEB logo on it, and also in comparison to Eva Longoria it looks pretty big. But then doubt crept it. Eva Longoria is one of those micro actresses. Maybe it only looks big because she is so small. Then today at HEB I saw it, and it is big! Not hugely huge, but big enough to hold my can of soup, three boxes of cereal, carton of orange juice, and two boxes of popsicles. I love it, and it turns out I am strong enough to carry more than 6 cubic inches of groceries in one bag.

2 comments:

Ms. Sibbett said...

Jeannie, you were right about not regretting clicking on the Tony Parker link. That is a multitalented family I tell you: professional basketball player / French rapper marries American television darling / walker through animated forest with hair blowing in fake wind. I wonder what their kids will be like? American multicultural posterchild / professional famous person / trainwreck, no doubt.

In Seattle they are trying to pass a law where they charge 20 cents per plastic bag. The stores and plastic companies and Republicans oppose it. I hope it will pass. After I pay 20 cents approximately once, I will never forget my shopping bags again.

Foam lollipops!

Jeannie said...

Lisa. I love you, and your comments. Since my Target bag is busy with the lollipops, I boldly took my new HEB/Longoria-Parker bag to Target today. It was a slightly nerve-wracking experience. But no one from Target security confronted me on my bag, and I also walked out feeling great, because here I am in Texas living up (at least this one time) to environmental standards that Seattle doesn't even have in place yet. Also, any future Longoria-Parker children will surely be invited to Suri Cruise's birthday parties, don't you think?