Saturday, July 4, 2009

Yeehaw (adventures with Cowboy)

Today we took our dog-in-law to the Red Bud Isle Dog Park, an entire (albeit small) island in Austin that is open to off-leash dogs. We thought Cowboy might be a little lonely with Vicky, Danny, and the family in Tennessee (he only sees us twice a day for food and outside time), so we all spent some quality time together, Travis and I walking and taking pictures, and Cowboy exploring, peeing, and sniffing other dogs. Even though most of the dozens of dogs and people we saw were swimming (it reached about 104 today), Cowboy had no interest in the water. This was a relief to me, since it was the first time I had ever been in a car with a dog, and I really didn't want to make it my first time in a car with a wet dog. Not so much of a relief: Cowboy did the kind of business that has to be picked up with a little bag, and lots of it. Another first for me.
Stopping at Starbucks in preparation for our adventure.
Cowboy usually only sees one other dog, his neighbor (who is very small and yappy), so he was stoked to see and smell so many other dogs.
A rare moment not protectively watching Cowboy.
I scooped poo for you, Cowboy. I care that much.
I was a little worried that Cowboy was getting heat exhaustion. He was panting so much. I tried pouring water from my water bottle in his mouth, but he hated that. Next time we dog-sit I am getting one of those little portable rubber dog bowls.
Rivers in the South are so pretty!
Looking upriver at the bridge and dam nearby.
A fun day, but it makes me glad that we aren't pet owners. It's a lot of work, and there is hair and drool everywhere.



No comments: