Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Meta blog (in which we blog about blogging)

Since I blog just about as often as I eat, I think it's time to customize this blog. I want it to look unique and personalized, but I know nothing about graphic design. So you might notice some different template experiments in the next few days. (Sidenote, if you know anyone who is willing to make a blog template in exchange for cookies and hugs, send them my way)
I was thinking today about why I blog so frequently, and I realized that I've sort of been blogging my whole life. Almost every day, and sometimes more than once a day, I find myself processing my experiences by writing little blog-length stories in my head. Sometimes they're in the format of a letter I would write to someone to apologize, or a speech I should have made when someone was being rude, but most often they just sound like me talking to a friend, telling them about what happened and giving commentary as I go along. I'm not sure why I do this, but I do know that I've noted from time to time, and often with regret, that I should have been writing them down in a journal or something so all that work (and it's often hard to put things into words, even in my head) wouldn't just disappear as soon as it was written. This blog started as a way to keep my family updated on our life here in Texas, but I have gone crazy with it because it helps me keep a little record of all those stories. And another plus is that it has motivated me to carry our camera with me everywhere, making this first year of marriage one of the most well-documented we'll probably ever have :)
Hence we find ourselves with many gems like this:
and this:

1 comment:

dad said...

jeannie
i have been doing this my whole life too. i never quite understood it, but you put it perfectly into words, though in my case i rarely have written any of these communiques down, except for letters to my boss explaining/requesting/defending ourselves on my boat (he hates these, so they go largely wasted, however i did get everybody in the company a raise a couple years ago).
sometimes these start as thoughts or prayers and often free associate into full length unwritten essays. this is why i love driving cars or boats. thanks for explaining to me why i do this.
love dad