Friday, August 14, 2009

TGI almost dinnertime!

Friday updates:
  • Despite the face he's making in this picture, Travis is feeling much better today. His mouth is doing a lot better and tension headache is gone. He might have a broken foot, but that has nothing to do with his tooth surgery. In fact, we have no idea how it happened!
  • When I was walking (more like trudging, what with all the dance bags and sore muscles and heat) up the stairs to our third floor apartment this evening, I heard a strange thumping noise. It sounded like it was coming from the roof. I walked in the apartment, and Travis was sitting on the couch, bouncing a tennis ball off the walls! We have pretty high vaulted ceilings in the living room, and now I know what they're good for!
  • Travis is making me dinner :) I don't know much about cooking meat, so bbq pork ribs "a la Travis" will be a special treat!
  • Today was the last day of the 2-week dance intensive I taught at ADC. I am tired and sore, but I think it went really well. This afternoon the families came to watch the dances their girls had learned, and I think they were impressed with how many pieces they'd learned in 2 weeks! Some of the pieces were just for fun (such as a hip hop combo Adele and I taught on Wednesday. Our 10-year-old ballerinas are so street, you don't even know), and others we'll continue to clean and prepare for competitions in the spring. Competitions aren't the focus at our studio- we'll only go to 2- but it's a fun way for the students to see their peers dance and get extra performance opportunities. So anyway, today's special topic, since we had a little performance at the end, was stage makeup. We went over the steps with the girls, and they all applied their own makeup (with mixed and sometimes hilarious results; keep in mind that some of these girls are 5). Miss Adele and I put on stage makeup as well. My students are always so shocked to see me in makeup! I wiped most of mine off in the car on the way home, but saved the eyes for a proper sink/soap/mirror makeup removal. Time to wash my face:
  • Travis is going to pick up the computer monitor he found on craigslist for $30. I am looking forward to having a computer that doesn't emit a high pitched (and I mean really high-pitched, and loud) buzzing every 10 minutes until you turn it off. I'm also looknig forward to added desk space; our current monitor is giant. Fun Fact: We found this computer (not the monitor, but the tower, which is in great shape) in the dumpster between the theatre and the music building on the Whitworth campus. We were walking around campus late at night last summer, and some tables next to the dumpster drew our attention. The tables were no good, but there, perched right on top (above more tables, and totally clean) was a perfectly good computer tower! It needed to be recycled. In our home. (We didn't have a home yet, and it we weren't even dating yet, but it was a few hours after this happened, so I knew we would have a home someday. Travis was just stoked about free stuff!)

No comments: