Friday, August 7, 2009

So. Much. Dancing.

I'm not complaining, but my life this week has been full of dancing, dancing, and more dancing. Between teaching the dance intensive at ADC, choreographing the two competition pieces I'm teaching tomorrow, and rehearsing with Borealis, I think I've spent almost 12 hours every day in a leotard. And I don't know how, but my friend and co-worker Adele is doing all that and dancing with another company.
My favorite kid quote so far from camp happened when Adele was leading a discussion about our favorite styles of dance during snack. Everyone went around saying their favorite style of dance, the style of dance they are best at, and the style that is most difficult for them. After several girls said that tap was the hardest style, one of my students raised her hand and said "the hardest style of dance for me is Miss Jeannie's warm up!"
At which point the students who had already spoken all changed their answers to "Miss Jeannie's warm up."
Awesome.

3 comments:

Ms. Sibbett said...

Really? Miss Jeannie's warmup is the hardest style of dance? I guess I would've thought Miss Jeannie's warmup would be kind of... fluffy and loving. With lots of taking big steps across the room while dramatically arching one's back and flinging one's arm and head back dramatically. I guess I know that you are sort of intense about stretching. But I want to hear more about this difficult warmup. Is it difficult because unfamiliar? Or difficult because you are secretly a ballet teacher at heart and make everyone go up on pointe for the warmup? Please explain more. Love Lisa

PS I don't want to have to tell you this, but the blackberries are at Production Level: Ridiculous right now. I got a sore wrist from carrying the heavy bowl. I had to quit picking because I was making myself sick, with all the eating.

Marshall Blanchard apparently whips up lobster bisque for Aunt Sue and mails it to her on her birthday. I mentioned this to mom. Do you think we should look into Indianola post office's food mailing abilities...?

Jeannie said...

First, regarding your postscript: YES. SEND BLACKBERRIES.
And regarding the warm-up: I am a sweet person, but a hardcore dancer. Did you know? I like to work out my abs until I feel like I'm about to cry, and stretch until my legs feel like they're going to fall off. I remember when this felt terrible, but now it just feels good. So I make my students do it too!
To be fair, though, my old dance teacher Amber used to make us hold each split (left, right, and center) for 5-6 minutes every class. I am making my students do only left and right for 30 seconds.
Little do they know, next week it'll be a minute :)

Anonymous said...

Amber earned her Frangos, that's for sure.