Saturday, August 1, 2009

Untitled (because my head is THAT tired)

In general, I am very healthy, and very grateful for my health. But today was one of those really hard days when I feel literally, physically weak and fragile. I wish I was one of those hearty people who can sign up for sleep studies for NASA because they fit the bill of "healthy, on no medications." Instead, I think I've spent at least a half year of my life (if you add it all up), probably more, lying in a dark silent room doing anything I can to manage the pain in my head and fall asleep.
Today, though, no such luck. My vision went out around 10:30, and I still had 8 hours of work ahead of me, with no one to fill in or cover my shift. The hour or so before the migraine when the middle of my vision is blurred out is always one of panic and terror. I took my medicine immediately, but the migraine still came on, and it was all sorts of awful and yucky. It is one thing to lie in bed and deal with pain, but another to deal with the pain while cheerfully helping a three year-old try on a dozen pairs of tap shoes. I am so so grateful to be home, and especially to be over the worst part of the pain.
All this is to say that I am willing, at this point, to try just about anything to decrease the frequency of my migraines. If there was a guaranteed cure that required moving to Oklahoma and eating only soybeans, I'd probably give it a whirl.
I have been getting 3-4 a week the last month or so, but until today I didn't realize how lucky I was that they have mostly come on right at the end of work or rehearsal. Right now, I feel very grateful for health, sunshine, a sound mind, people who provide comfort, and a relatively simple and stress-free job.
If only I had a team of people to do this today:
p.s. I have another appointment with my new doctor Tuesday morning. I am hoping she'll have lots more ideas :)
p.p.s Look at the colors!

No comments: