Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Our marriage

Today, when I was locked out of the dance studio, sitting in the hall and waiting for wonderful Pixie to rescue me, I needed something to read. The only thing I had available was Sunday's church program, including the church newsletter. This made for semi-interesting reading, but what really got my interest was a note on the sermon I had penciled in the margin.
In marriage, husband is servant leader, and wife is servant lover.
I know it sounds a little cheesy out of context, but this little quote really rang true to me. I'm pretty sure our pastor Rick spoke on the same thing during our wedding ceremony, but the ceremony was such a blur that I don't remember anything that's not in the pictures. Or maybe it didn't mean as much to me then as it does now, after 7 months of marriage.
I am all about egalitarian relationships. I believe that man and woman are equals, that husband and wife are equals, and that God is the true leader of my marriage. I also know that every marriage looks different, so I don't think that Pastor Rick's quote would feel right to everyone. But it felt like he was describing my marriage exactly.
Travis serves me, and our little family, by leading. We make decisions together, but it is Travis who does best at picking out cars, finding good deals, planning trips, and making quick choices when they need to be made. He shows me love in little things, like looking after our cars, keeping track of bills, and driving when we go places together. Some women might prefer to do these things themselves, but I really appreciate that Travis takes care of them.
And I try to serve our family by showing Travis just how much I love him every day, by respecting his choices, encouraging his dreams, and helping him stretch when he's sore (Travis is the least flexible person I've ever met). I think we would both agree that I am best when it comes to putting my feelings into words, and I think Travis appreciates that I initiate that part of our relationship.
Or maybe he would prefer that I never say anything mushy or remotely complimentary, but I'm not really giving him a choice on the matter:)

1 comment:

mom said...

That's what I noticed when I was in Austin last week. Travis doesn't take over, but he looks for ways to take pressure off of you. Love flows from you both in different but very complimentary ways.