Sunday, August 22, 2010

Scaredy cat

It's open knowledge that I have never been much of an animal person, never really liked dogs, and never wanted to own one.  Now that I have a dog, and I am completely in love with her, I don't feel guilty about this.  But I do feel worried sometimes that I'll mess her up, since I have no idea what I'm doing.  
And now it's official: Sasquatch, 11 months old, is afraid of just about everything.  Here is a partial list:
  • machinery noises
  • riding in trucks
  • people walking up to her
  • people just standing there
  • wind/rain/lightning
  • fireworks
  • stairs
We have no idea what we did to make her such a scaredy cat.  She is well-trained and pleasant in every other way.  But Travis will walk in the house, and the first 10 seconds are sheer panic until she remembers that "oh, that's the person I try to climb in bed with every night."  The fur on her back sticks straight up, her tail goes between her legs, she runs backward, and worst of all she barks.  The most grievous instance of "scared Sasquatch behaves badly" was last month when my mom flew to Austin to drive north with me.  The night before we left, Sasquatch wouldn't go anywhere near my mom without completely losing it.  Because my mom is super scary.
And today I have been trying to get her to play with me outside, but she refuses to do anything but sit by the door, I assume because it's windy.  I try to be brave.  I even spent an entire summer doing one thing that scared me every day.  But I feel like this wimpy dog must be picking up on some fear in me and projecting it to the world.  At least if I were a dog, I would be afraid of actual scary things, like:
  •  aggressive dogs who like to bite
  • eating sharp and/or poisonous things
  • getting hit by a car
  • getting lost.
If only she were afraid of these things.  Well, at least she's beautiful.

1 comment:

dad said...

beanzo
hopefully sasquatch isn't one of those opposite vibe-type deals like the ramseys had their whole dog career.....the sweetest, gentlest people on the planet with the most vicious whacko dogs...some sort of twisted ying and yang thing, even though i actually don't even formally know what that means. however it speaks highly for you and travis if the universe can only be balanced by your dog being a scared barker.
dadzo