Sunday, August 29, 2010

Plans

When I graduated from Whitworth, I sort of hoped I'd never have to write another paper.  I am actually willing to admit that a large part of the reason why I studied theatre and math was the relative low number or writing assignments.  I procrastinate on writing papers because they terrify me, and then I always spend at least twice as long as everyone else on them.
So I'm a little bit nervous about grad school.
The biggest perk to my new job (aside from being an awesome job working with awesome people at an awesome place) is that I can go to school for free.  We really feel like I should take advantage of the opportunity, since it's a pretty amazing one.  And Whitworth offers a program that relates to higher ed, a M.Ed. in Administrative Leadership.  If I take the GRE like yesterday and apply really soon I could even start in the Spring.
But I doubt that anyone will let me choreograph or graph equations for credit in my masters program.  It will be three years of getting home from work, reading, and writing papers.  Good thing I am married to Mr. Responsibility, or I'd probably never do it.  Also, the incentive for going right away is that, after four years at my job, I will have earned free grad school for Travis too (if he decides to go into education, business, or theology).  Ideally, I will finish before Travis starts.
Good thing God is bigger than my inability to start a paper.

4 comments:

dad said...

beans
so great that GOD is WAY bigger than your ability to not want to start papers even though justifiably terrifying.
But choroegraphing the equations of administrative leadership is called interdisciplinary and it is all the rage now. my surfer/cop/builder friend tony polizzi got his degree from concordia (i think) in theology or religion (i think) and then did an interdisciplinary masters with concordia and the wooden boat foundation in port townsend building wooden boats....and it supposebly(joey tribiani) all worked together. be interesting to read that thesis.
dad

Ms. Sibbett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ms. Sibbett said...

Dad's right! It is possible you can interdisciplinarily dance and graph your way through (a small part of) an M.Ed. program.

You will totally rock grad school, obviously. It is a lot of work, writing and otherwise, but you can take it slow, right? How many classes would you take per term? I recommend ONE, to start with. Is that possible? Because remember your post right before this one, where you were like "wahoo, I love having free time and energy to use in it!"? You should try to preserve that. It is ever so important. It's all about balance. Heidi would concur.

And that concludes this installment of: Jeannie's Big Sister's Unsolicited Advice.

Ms. Sibbett said...

Also: weird. Now that I have a class blog (albeit currently unpublished and mostly theoretical) and have changed my profile name to Ms. Sibbett, that is apparently my name according to all things Google. Awesome. Ms. Sibbett it is.