Sunday, December 4, 2011

Correlation

I have been gluten-free for 9 days now.  Days 2-5 I had some sort of stomach bug, which transitioned into a bad cold (persisting even still) on Day 6. 
I have two things to say about this:
1) I really don't mind being sick.  Or, at least, I don't mind being sick right now, with little illnesses that are sure to pass.  I have a job that I can do when I'm coughing or feeling nauseated, and I can take a sick day when I need to.  Sick days are glorious, and you have my permission to remind me of this if I ever complain about taking them.  Someone is paying you to stay home and rest.  There are so many people who have no option of taking sick days.  I know this because I spent several months doing four shows a day with mono. 
2) My body is clearly defenseless against the outside world without wheat.  It is very very rare for me to get any kind of bug that is going around, and there isn't even something going around!  (Travis has a bad cold, too, but he probably got it from me.  Sorry Travis!)  The only logical explanation is that, all this time, the huge amounts of toast I ate every day were forming some sort of barrier against getting sick.  It makes perfect sense (to a person that knows little to nothing about infection). 
Correlation equals causation, right?

2 comments:

mom said...

Hi Jeannie,
I don't think you should let anyone try to talk you out of your toast-protection theory. I'm pretty sure that the magnet bracelet I once bought you will be a good substitute for toast until your immune system is strengthened. Good luck!

dad said...

beanzo
on sunday after thanksgiving, beth and the 3 kids all came down with your exact same symptoms and missed school through at least wed. becky and i arrived at similar symptoms a day or two later, me stupidly going to santa cruz to see aunt shirlee wed thru sat (i hope she doesn't get it....i was careful). but we have 3 prime suspects for delivery of the bug to our thanksgiving crew and they each have a good potential source of the bug....issaquah high school, eastern wa univ, and my primary suspect is the one who spends so much time with her nose to the ground vacuuming up every conceivable disease and plague wandering around the globe.....yes, i blame the dog.