Sunday, November 27, 2011

Here we go!

When you get a lot of headaches, you hear about a lot of different cures and preventative measures.  It's only natural for people to want to help, and I appreciate any and all advice that comes my way.  (Okay, I appreciate almost any advice; if you tell me to take an Excedrin for my migraines, I might have to chuck 30 different failed prescription pill bottles at you.) 
But trying out all those different cures is time consuming, expensive, and sometimes more exhausting than the headaches themselves.  I have tried:
  • just about every headache medication on the market, plus a bunch not indicated for headaches, both prescription and over-the-counter
  • avoiding medication for months to rule out rebound headaches
  • chiropractic adjustments
  • seeing a nutritionist
  • herbal supplements (lots)
  • acupuncture
  • cupping
  • getting reading glasses
  • more exercise
  • less exercise
  • more water (seriously- I drink enough water)
  • a high-protein, low fat diet
  • more salt
  • a diet that restricts anything dried, fermented, or aged
  • more sleep
  • less sleep
  • regular sleep
  • less reading
  • regular meals
  • vitamins
  • magnesium spray
  • avoiding all scented chemicals
  • keeping track of everything I eat and do
  • blood tests, brain scans, etc.
  • less work
  • moving to a different climate
  • IV infusions of the stongest headache medicines available
I am currently on day 3 of the latest attempt: going gluten-free.  This is something I have been avoiding for years because I am possibly the world's biggest fan of bread, but it's gotten to the point that I can no longer tell someone my head hurts without them asking if I've tried going gluten free.  So I'm trying it for a month.  I am not confident, however, that it will work, since I have a very impressive track record when it comes to testing negative for things and being resistant to any and all cures (my favorite neurologist in Texas called my headaches "intractable," which in layman's terms means "I'm totally stumped").

Here is my experience so far:
  • Day 1: Shopped for super expensive gluten-free food.  Mom and I were sad to find out that the gluten-free store where my parents live is going out of business, but pleasantly surprised that everything was half off!  It was the day after Thanksgiving, so the leftover rolls sitting in front of me on the dinner table were a huge temptation (have I mentioned I'm a little into bread?), but I didn't feel too deprived, especially once mom made gluten-free gravy.  Thanks mom!
  • Day 2: Felt very sick and headachy, but this had nothing to do with the gluten-free diet (though I considered making up an elaborate story about how it was clear my body needed wheat flour to survive).  Went to my brother and sister-in-law's house for dinner, where I could eat just about everything!  Meat and veggies seem to be a theme with my family, which is a very very good thing.  I decided I didn't know when I would be able to eat so much good food again, so I ate until I looked four months pregnant (according to my family).
  • Day 3: On the drive home from the Westside of Washington, we stopped into McDonald's for lunch.  I walked up to the counter and confidently ordered the Chicken Selects.  Then I realized my error, and said, "wait, no, nevermind, I can't have those . . . I don't need anything."  The poor girl at the counter was super confused.  A quick glance at the menu made it clear that McDonald's was out (part of my existing migraine diet forbids salad dressing, and I am NOT paying $4 for a plastic container of dry lettuce at a fast food restaurant, thank you very much).  For dinner I made gluten-free shell pasta, which was so al dente it was nearly crunchy, even though I followed the instructions on the box.  Maybe I under-cooked it?  Over-cooked it?  Maybe people who can't have wheat like to feel like they are working for their pasta?  Who knows. 
And now I can't even focus because there is a loaf of wheat bread in the fridge and it will definitely go bad in the next few days if no one eats it and there is no way Travis is going to eat an entire loaf of wheat bread and isn't wastefulness a sin? 
I think I may have met my match with this whole "no bread" thing.

1 comment:

Ms. Sibbett said...

Go Jeannie! You can do it!

Those are meant to be some encouraging words. Are they working? But really, hang in there, sister. I know it might be tough to live on less bread and pasta for awhile, but I bet it'll get easier! Hopefully?

Love you,
L