Sunday, December 18, 2011

Reading Log (sort of)

I really wish the library kept track of the books I've read this year.  Maybe they do?  I'm going to ask next time I go in.  In the meantime, here are some great books I have read recently!  I am just picking out the very best ones for you, though I'm not going to suggest that you have the same taste in books as me (unless you really like sweet stories about likeable people written for 14-year-olds).

Note: ECRT (Esther Could Read This) means I think this book is appropriate for my 12-year-old niece Esther.   The rest might be considered PG13, so don't read them yet, okay, E?

Book that made me laugh so hard I cried:
  • Bossypants by Tina Fey (I listened to the audiobook, which is read by Tina herself, and includes clips from SNL)
  • Runner-up: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
Book I would recommend to any boy (and most girls) between the ages of 13 and 31:
  •  Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Book that made me want pump my fist and yell, "girl power!":
  • The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart (ECRT)
Book that successfully parodied Beauty Pageants, Sarah Palin, LOST, and Kim Jong-il, and still tugged at my heartstrings:
  • Beauty Queens by Libba Bray
Book with a fascinating (and likeable) protagonist:
  • Marcelo and the Real World by Francisco Stork
Book that transported me to a distant land, young adult fiction category:
  • Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson (ECRT)
  • Runner-up: Carpe Diem by Autumn Cornwell (ECRT)
 Book that transported me to a distant land, nonfiction:
  • Lost on Planet China by J. Maarten Troost
Book that I would have loved at any age:
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (ECRT)
Book that made me feel like an awkward teenager again:
  • How to Say Goodbye in Robot by Natalie Standiford

No comments: