Thursday, October 22, 2009

Lost

Once again, my habit of disorganization has me searching for something I had no business losing in the first place. This time, my notebook.
I have never kept a journal. The mere thought of journaling, saving my embarrassing reactions and cliched insights for someone to possibly find (and worse, for me to find later) makes me shudder. Other people's journaling doesn't make me feel this way, because I know that other people are good at writing journals which are not embarrassing or cliched. Me, not so much. The fact that I am writing this while blogging is not lost on me- but since I blog about the kinds of things I tell my friends, and not the kinds of things one would tend to write in a journal, I am comfortable with this mild personal inconsistency (side note: a close friend once told me that I was a very inconsistent person. Turns out she was pretty much exactly right).
But I always keep a notebook. I have a collection that is probably more than a dozen, less than twenty, starting with my first summer working at Island Lake Camp when I was 17. In my notebooks are lists, schedules, outlines for bible studies, sermon notes, and lots of choreography. Most of them wouldn't be embarrassing if found by another person, just boring and mostly unreadable (unless you like reading choreography, in which case: awesome!)
The notebook that I am currently searching for was my 3rd to last, but holds something very dear to me, something that I do not want to lose: my collection of Travis quotes. Travis is hilariously, makes-me-laugh-so-hard-I-cry-on-a-regular-basis funny, but he is most often funny in a quiet, almost unintentional, and mostly-for-himself-kind of way.
A few months ago I realized it was essential I start documenting Travis' best one-liners, mostly because it would make a really good blog someday. I kept them in a finished notebook with a few pages left (since my current notebook goes everywhere with me) and left it on the desk here at home.
But alas, missing! I am very distraught. And now it is time to go to work and I can't even try to write them from memory, as I intended. I will try to get to it tonight after rehearsal. In the meantime, I leave you with this:
After seeing a promo for the tv series The Real Housewives of Atlanta,
Travis: A thousand years ago those people would not have existed. They would have been weeded out. . . probably by lions.

No comments: