Saturday, September 18, 2010

Rescues

Waking up pain free (or nearly pain free) after a really terrible migraine is one of my favorite feelings in the whole world.  Excuse me if I'm being simple and talking about things I don't really understand, but to me it is like being released from prison.  I always know the pain will be over eventually, but never when, and it can start to feel like forever.  I had maybe the worst migraine of my life a month ago, and was in awe of the sheer length of it.  How was it that I was able to be in so much pain for so long without passing out like people do in movies?  Every minute I thought "this is the worst it can possibly get," and then it of course did get worse, and this lasted for hours (7, maybe).  Finally I found myself waking up, which meant that I had fallen asleep.  Falling asleep is always the goal with a really bad migraine.  I have never just gradually lifted out of a migraine without falling asleep.  But falling asleep doesn't always mean it's gone. 
It's usually a pretty big improvement, though, and last month I woke up feeling like I could fly.  I was so grateful I cried, and laughed, and whispered "thank you" out loud a dozen times in the dark.  The thing about this whole falling-asleep recovery method is that it commands thankfulness.  I know I'm being rescued, because the cure happens while I'm unconscious.  And it happens that way every single time.  This morning I woke up from a bad migraine (but soooo different from last month's big bad), and I imagined that, while I slept, I had been carried (in a white dress, nonetheless; I can't help if my post-pain musings are cheesy) into freedom.  I felt so happy I could dance around the room, and that was saying a lot since Travis' terrible alarm had woken me up after only 4 hours of sleep. 
I know that God does not cause my migraines.  There are a lot of things about the nature of God I may not understand, but I have a pretty good idea about how he rolls when it comes to people in pain.  I also know that it is in my character to feel impatient about things, but God has used all these rescues to make me into a person who is just really grateful.  It's hard not to be grateful when you get rescued all the time. 

p.s. Sasquatch is grateful, too, for her huge birthday treat. She has been working on that thing all night, and of course has no interest in her breakfast now. Happy birthday Sasquatch!  

1 comment:

mom said...

This might be my favorite blog post of yours ever, although I hate what you have to go through.