Sunday, April 15, 2012

Catching up

  • Last night was the Whitworth luau. I did the faculty/staff dance for the 2nd year in a row, and it was a blast. I love working for a school where professors and administrators and staff will get together for practices and learn a dance because they care about the things their students care about. The student dancers were awesome and the food was delicious (though I steered clear of the poi. Food should not be light purple). The Hawaiian club gave us each a beautiful lei shipped in from Hawaii. When I got home Travis and his friends each took a turn wearing it (Travis didn't realize it was made of real flowers and freaked out a bit, which was hilarious). We didn't want Sasquatch to feel left out!

Aloha, Sassy!
  • Also, a few months ago Travis decided to get Sasquatch one of those running leashes that attaches to her harness on one end and wraps around your waist on the other end. I resolved never to use this leash, because all I could picture was being dragged through the gravel (probably down a steep hill) by my monster truck of a puppy and having no way to stop it. Yesterday, however, Travis finally convinced me to try it, and guess what? I am actually stronger than Sasquatch. It's true! For the last 2 and a half years that girl has been pulling me around 2-4 times a day, stressing me out, making my arms sore, and on one occasion making me fall into the mud while wearing a yellow wool jacket. But that is just because my arms are weak. Strap her to my waist, and I am capable of standing my ground, even downhill, and even with other dogs around! She did make me fall over today while I was crouching to pick up her poo and two big dogs walked by (it's a good thing I'm not easily embarrassed, because the owner was a woman about my size who was easily restraining both large dogs with her arms, no running leash needed). But otherwise, it was the most relaxing walk we've ever taken together. Well aside from all the walks we take in Indianola with no leash at all. That place is like dog Disneyland.
    No harness, even! Sasquatch is terrified of her harness, so she LOVES walks in Indianola
  • I've been having some tests done to help explain some recent fainting (unfortunately, fainting is not as glamorous or romantic as I assumed it would be) and we've discovered that I am awesome at having my blood drawn. The lab technicians always get so excited about my veins! If we were in a vampire movie, I think this means that I'd be the first victim.
  • This morning I finished reading The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak. I have read several student essays this year recommending this book, but held off for a while because I often avoid books about heavy topics. And The Book Thief is set in Germany during World War II. After reading about 3 pages of this book, I could tell that it was going to make me very weepy (which it did), but also that it was full of whimsy and joy and inventive language and that it was going to be funny in a very dark, honest way.
Okay, time to eat something (my doctor said I should eat every 2-3 hours. Isn't that awesome? I have been all over that).

2 comments:

mom said...

I hope the new eating schedule eliminates fainting and has an impact on those remaining headaches, too. Have you found a quick source of protein that's gluten-free?

Jeannie said...

Hi mom! So far so good. I've been bringing pepperoni slices and cashews to work, and also a little pyrex with peanut butter to put on celery and rice cakes. I think there are some granola/protein bars that are gluten free, but I haven't been to the store yet this week. I feel like I'm eating all day long, but at least I have a job that allows me to do that!