Sunday, March 4, 2012

COOKIES.

So far I've had success with cookies only twice since going gluten-free, and both winners were flourless recipes. I think there's something to that: if the recipe contains any alternative flours (almond, tapioca, rice, etc.), even in combination, something will always taste and feel just a little bit off (though I have just received a recipe that looks promising from my Aunt that contains a little bit of gluten-free flour mix).
I'd like to share last night's cookie recipe because it is so easy and delicious that you might decide to try it, even if you have a good relationship with wheat.
Note #1: Credit goes to my mom, who sent me the Favorite Brand Name Gluten Free 3 Books in 1 Cookbook, and who deserves a huge hug for practically forcing me to go gluten-free even when I was bratty about it and made a hundred excuses, and who hasn't brought that up even once when I've told her how much it's been helping my head.
Note #2: You would be crazy not to double this recipe. I doubled it and ended up with about 40 small cookies. Half of those were gone in a few hours.
Note #3: There were no nutrition facts with this recipe, I think we can make a good guess that these cookies are all fat and sugar, which your body needs a bit of in order to survive.

Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chippers
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup creamy or chunky peanut butter, not the natural kind
1 egg
1/2 cup-ish of chocolate chips (I didn't use that many)
A little bit of granulated sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 
2. Beat brown sugar, peanut butter, and egg in medium bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well-blended,
3. Shape dough into 1.5 inch balls; roll balls in a plate of granulated sugar and place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Use the tines of a fork to flatten each ball to 1/2 inch thickness, crisscrossing with fork. Press 3 to 4 chocolate chips on top of each cookie.
4. Bake 12 minutes or until just set (12 minutes exactly was perfect in my oven). Cool on cookie sheets 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks; cool completely (that part must be a joke- you should definitely eat some cookies while they are warm).
Makes 1.5 dozen cookies

There was no photo in the cookbook so I did a photo shoot in the living room. Sasquatch was prowling around waiting for me to lift my guard for one second, but I am very careful about my cookies.

6 comments:

dad said...

beanzo
1) due to your less frequent postings on your blog, please facebook when you do put something up. you have a lot of us out here that love to read your stuff.
2) these cookies have a ton of protein in them, therefore they should be eaten very frequently or whenever you are running out of gas.
3) these are a bit like the "peanut butter round things" that becky used to make for yall, except those had a bunch of honey instead of sugar.
4) i love you.
dad

mom said...

I'm glad to hear that the cookbook is giving you more food choices. Bring it with you when you come to visit -- you're in charge of desert!

Jeannie said...

Dad: On it, on it, they are! Except cooked, and love you too.
Mom: I am all over that. I have made 2 variations on these peanut-butter cookies, microwave chocolate pudding (so easy!), and a few chicken recipes so far. There is a sugar cookie recipe I'm hoping to try soon, plus about 50 others recipes I've tabbed. One thing I've noticed is that a lot of the recipes contain cinnamon, which maybe masks the taste of the gluten-free flour, but gives things a weird taste itself. I'm learning.

Lindsey said...

Hi Jeannie, this is Lindsey (Stockton) from way back when! =) So I totally tried making these today and the recipe isn't joking about not using natural peanut butter! I figured - "hey, how bad could it be?" - since that was all I had in the house. But the oil in the natural peanut butter spread all over the cookie sheet. They taste ok though. I just know for next time to be obedient to the instructions!

My husband and I are doing a two-week gluten-free trial to test if we have any sensitivities. What sort of things do you eat for breakfast and lunch? Trying to get ideas...

Jeannie said...

Hi Lindsey! I read your blog too :) I love hearing about your boys! I've been tempted with the natural peanut butter but was afraid to risk it- now we know it's a good thing!
Breakfast hasn't been too bad because there are a lot of cereals made of oats or rice (usually the bottom of the ingredients list will says "contains wheat" in bold if there are any wheat ingredients, but it's good to check to be sure). When I get tired of cereal I have rice cakes with peanut butter, grapefruit, or sausage links. For lunch I've been eating gluten free chili and soups, chicken, and leftovers- I used to take leftovers to work for lunch once a week or so, but since I went gluten free I've started making extra dinner almost every night. It's a little harder to find lunch food so I just eat dinner food! I used to snack a lot on crackers throughout the day, but I've switched to tortilla chips, pepperoni slices, cashews, fruit, popcorn, and celery with peanut butter. I felt hungry all the time the first few months but it's helped to find snacks that are very filling (and I think your body adjusts after a while). Good luck!

Lindsey said...

Thanks for the ideas! I've been feeling hungry and wanting to snack... so those snack ideas sound great. it's a good test in will power. Johnny and I are struggling because we eat a lot of bagels for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch. =(