Monday, January 24, 2011

Accidental exhibitionists

Time for an embarrassing story!  We mostly love our rental house.  It is old-fashioned but updated in a very South-Hill (that's a nice area of Spokane that we don't live in) way.  It has a big back yard with its own Whomping Willow, a driveway that connects directly to the street and not the alley (very rare in our neighborhood) and space, space, and more space.  Enough space, actually, that Travis is setting up and trying out a little indoor golf area in the basement as I write.  We don't have a net, so it involves a blanket and weights and a little patch of fake grass.
The house also has quirks.  Quirks can be innocuous, like the sloped floor in the basement that means the furniture has to point one way and not the other, or the door that is sometimes stuck and sometimes too loose.  And the window in the shower.  The BIG window in the shower, on the side of the house facing the main street.  Luckily, it contains thickly frosted glass, and when we moved in we checked very carefully and made sure you couldn't see through it.
HOWEVER.
We only checked during the daytime.  Last night we were telling some friends about the window in the shower, and we simultaneously realized that we had never checked it when it was dark out.  Rookie mistake!  I take all my showers after 9 pm or before 6:30 am!  I have taken more than 50 showers in front of that window when it is dark out!  So last night we checked, and sure enough, it was very easy to see through the frosted glass.  I couldn't see Travis' facial features, but I could definitely see the color of his clothes.  I can only posit, based on this evidence, that it would be simple for a random passerby (or our across the street neighbors, whose living room window faces our bathroom window) to deduce that the person on the other side of that window was not wearing any clothes.  This would be really hilarious if it weren't horrifying.  I'm shocked that no one has called the police, or set up video cameras in the trees!
Travis is awesome, and jumped into action.  Now we have a beautiful and very opaque shade covering the window.  But is it opaque enough to rid us of our (possible) reputation as the neighborhood nudies?  Only time will tell.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Jeannie when I moved into my apartment I had a clear shower curtain, which I thought was enough... however about a month into living in my place I realized that it was NOT enough coverage! i too had been a "neighborhood nudie". now nearly two years later I am pretty much over my horror of that month!